Monday, May 27, 2019

Facebook Post

I didn't know this post of mine in Facebook would event get shared and commented on. So placing it here so one day I can look back instead of waiting for FB yearly memory.

So here it goes:

Super long post

The one thing I wasn't prepared for during pregnancy was the weight gain.

It was amazing that during the pregnancy I didn't gain much weight due to my whole day 'morning sickness' and can't stand meat sickness.
I still looked my size till my last few weeks of pregnancy but the min I delivered I became a balloon.

Was I expecting this? Nope.
Was I expecting ppl to keep commenting about my weight ? Nope.

The questions simply went from
"Uma, why u put on so much of weight? I couldn't recongize u" to "Uma u should do smthg about your weight now itself else u can't lose the weight" to "soo fat still want to eat soo much" to what not.

Did it hurt? yes. Majorly.

Did I wanted to stop eating and just starve to loss all the weight? Of coz, who wouldn't?

But as a mother, I knew my priority was/is my son. I didn't want to go on pills or extreme diets coz I was/am still feeding him. The best gift I could give him was the liquid gold in his starting years of his life. And I am blessed I managed to do it, coz it's not easy like how movies shows. It's work and really tough work.

To daily keep ensuring (for the first 1.5 yrs) I drank 3l of water, Aust brand Milo, fish, oats milk, lactation cookies, oats cookies, carrying my pumps & ice pack everywhere I went. From refusing to pump at toilets and making it look all easy to pump at my desk, continue with my work, continue with meetings, go to schools to teach, pump at school canteens, to do a course and skipping lunch breaks just to pump and eating bread to last the whole day to checking on baby rooms availability wherever I went for work events and to waking up daily (till today) at least twice at night. To investing in a total of 4 pumps to see which  worked best for me. It was work, the hardest work I had to do. Eventually when I ditched my pump I knew I had done my best and I know I will never look back and regret.

The weight is going down slowly but does it really really matter to me? Sometimes yes (when I think I can fit into smthg but I can't) but most of the time no. I have learnt to accept that I am just a normal human. I had great support from my ppl close to me shopping for me for super nice clothes to friends teaching me how to get the right kind of outfit to suit my body type.

Today I might have lost some weight but who knows maybe 2 years down the road I might put on weight again. But I do know whether I am slim or fat, I will still have that smile on my face to take on all the nasty comments I can receive.

As tough as the journey was/is/will be, I know I will keep smiling and face it coz I can conquer my fears and obstacle.

Biggest thing I have learnt in this whole journey, never ever ask someone about their weight or comment on their weight. We will never know their struggles till we walk their path.


No comments:

Post a Comment