Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Self-Care

Jan 4, 2019

When I was younger I was always excited about the new year. On the eve of new year, instead of going out to party I will actually go to a hair salon and do something crazy to my hair.

As life caught up with me I stopped or rather I stopped making time for it because everything else was more important then an appoint with my hair.

The last time I did something crazy to my hair was on Dec 10th 2015. Sooo crazy I made many mad at me.

So after that crazy experience I decided to tame down for a very long time due to my pregnancy and breastfeeding journey.

In 2018 I was continuously hating my hair. It was dropping like crazy and I was told it was due to post pregnancy which was lasting for way too long, almost 2years! I tried going for hair treatment (once), trimmed my hair but nope nothing worked and I just gave up till that day.

So on 4th Jan I was on leave settling things for my son’s birthday party and I had some time to kill. So I decided why not treat myself to a hair wash and style it since I was near my favourite trustworthy salon.

So I went in told them I wanted to wash, trim and style. I sat there and the stylist asked me how short? I thought for a few mins and I said wait I want a particular hairstyle I had many years ago. So I went to my Facebook album (Simply Me) and searched the hundred of pics for that one hairstyle and ufinally foundwhat I wanted. So I spent 4 hrs of my life sitting at a salon to do my hair.

4hrs of free time after almost 2 years. It felt good but what felt really good was my new hair style. I did not only love my hair style but I just loved how I looked. I loved what I saw in the mirror. I fell in love with myself after god knows how long.

That week alone I think I took more selfies then I did the past 2 years. That week I realised why is it so important to self-care.

I felt so much better about myself. My mood was better compared to the past few months. I felt beautiful. I had great hair. I felt I looked good in everything I wore.

I asked myself why didn’t I do this earlier because I could have avoided feeling miserable for such a long time. My mind was giving me all the reasons to why I didn’t do it.

The first excuse that came to me was I am busy with work and after work I need to be there with my son. Second I didn’t want to waste money as the money spent on me can be of better use for my family.

After many thoughts in-between finally the most scariest thought came to me, that  I didn’t deserve to get pampered simply because I didn’t achieve anything that great to reward myself. It felt scary because I was so hard on myself.

That’s when I decided I needed to be nicer & kinder to myself. I realised I was so hard on myself the past years that I was punishing myself from not doing things that would make me happy. No one else was hard on me except me, myself. Why I did that I really can’t exactly figure out but I know what happened because I spent 4 hours at the salon?

I am still employed.
My son was perfectly fine (though he gave me a cheeky smile after seeing me with my new hairstyle).
My family is not in any financial crisis.
I am actually happier with myself.

It was definitely the best 4 hours of my life that day. The best thing I did to myself, for myself after a very long time.

It took me so many years to once again understand the importance of self-care and this post shall be a reminder to myself that it is extremely ok to be nicer and kinder to myself.

A happy me means a happy family !

No comments:

Post a Comment